Overly Needy People (wk1)
Topic: Boundaries Scripture: Acts 3:1–3:8, Galatians 6:7, Psalm 70:5
Talking through the message during the week helps you turn what God is saying to you into action steps. These talking points, questions, and scriptures are designed to help you take the next step. If you’re leading a group through this guide, don’t feel like you have to answer every question. Pick out those questions that will stir up conversation and action among your group.
• How do you typically react when you encounter needy people?
Read Acts 3:1-10
In this passage, Peter and John give a crippled man what he needed instead of what he asked for by healing his body.
- Describe a time when you received help but it did more harm than good because it wasn’t what you really needed.
- In what ways have you seen the difference between relief and restoration?
- Why do you think our typical first reaction to needy people is to give them relief instead of restoration?
- What do you think would have happened to the crippled man if Peter and John had given him the money he had asked for?
Read Acts 3:6, Galatians 6:7, and Psalm 70:5. These verses reflect the three prayers of the restorer.
- What kind of impact do you think the church would have if we focused more on restoration instead of relief when it comes to dealing with needy people?
- Why is it important that we don’t continually rescue overly needy people from their own consequences?
- Who are some overly needy people that you can help restore? What steps will you take to restore them?
- Where do you need God’s restoration in your life?