Topic: Marriage Scripture: Genesis 29:16–29:35
This passage tells the story of Jacob’s marriage to sisters Leah and Rachel.
Jacob’s actions mirror many people today who put the weight of their deepest hopes and desires solely on their spouses and ultimately crush their marriages with unreal expectations.
- How does the world’s view of romantic love differ from God’s view?
- Describe what your picture of an ideal marriage looks like. What do you think it takes to achieve the type of marriage that honors God?
- Discuss some of the successful marriages you have seen. How did these couples achieve an ideal marriage?
- Why do you think so many people try to find fulfillment through relationships rather than finding it through God?
- Describe a time when you tried to find fulfillment and satisfaction through a relationship rather than finding it through God. What did you learn from this experience and how did it ultimately affect your relationship with both God and the other person?
- Describe how different your marriage or dating relationship is when you put God first?
- How have you seen unmet expectations like Jacob had in Genesis 29 affect your marriage or your relationships with others?
- Who or what is your ONE in your life right now? What specific things can you do to ensure that God your ONE?